down the bottom of the garden

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Random Random Five... the boys

Welcome to my current musical selection; carefully hand picked for you by itunes!
There is a definate ex boyfriend theme to this one.


Eminem – Lose yourself

Ok I like rap… and eminem is pretty cool. I used to hate him and argue with my boyfriend about how horrible he was, until he made me actually listen to the lyrics (pumping from the speakers that would rattle the number plate of his Ford Lazer) and decide for myself. Yeah not for young people really cos they mistake the messages…
This song is from 8 mile which is a pretty horrible movie but the rapping is great and the message is typical of eminem, dark, real and actually strangely inspirational.


Into the woods – Finale

I’m not the biggest Sondheim fan… but I do like 'Into the woods'. I suppose this dispels the idea that you either love Sondheim or hate it. This musical is actually very funny and clever. The best part has to be the princes’ duet ‘Agony’… especially if the princes are being played by rather attractive men. Hot + talented and one is a bass!! aaaahhh
Anyway, this song is just the end of the show and not worth listening to on its own.


Exit music for a film – Radiohead (OK computer)

This is the only radiohead album I have as it was the only one I really got into. My boyfriend when I was 14 listened to a lot of radiohead and this song reminds me of him and ‘gatherings’ of around that time… ah the memories. I like this song it is solemn and a bit deranged… like radiohead tends to be sometimes.


You’re nobody ‘till somebody loves you – Spebsqsa (2003 top twenty quartets)

Ok the sentiment is horrible… and it’s not a particularly good recording. Barbershop is best live and only sometimes is really good recorded as you lose the overtones. And that my friends, is what barbershop is all about. I was introduced to BBS by my ex and fell in love with the artform when visiting this bunch of guys who he used to sing with. There are some really nice chords in this one… but hey, what do you expect from an international top 20 quartet. Funny story Spebsqsa stands for Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, Incorporated Woah! Maybe it is now called barbershop harmony society because they thought the original name was too cumbersome… really??
ok maybe not that funny… but true.


There is life outside your apartment – Avenue Q (Original Braodway Cast)

There are some very funny lines in this song although it is not one of the funniest songs in the musical. THe musical is kind of like an M rated Sesame Street. I saw it on Broadway a few years ago when I went to the USA with boy and family.. but that’s another story. I really hope it comes to Australia… a very very amusing night out.


Oh what a beautiful Morning – Oklahoma!

I think Oklahoma! is probably one of the best known musicals and this song is probably one of the best known songs from musical theatre... even though those singing, whistling or humming it may not even know where it is from. Yay. Happy days.


I apologise for the lack of pretty pictures... I pretty much just can't be bothered, also it annoys me when I don't seem to be able to format it properly.

1 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Ash said...

HAPPY CHRISTMAS or holidays or whatever everyone likes to do when the shops are shut two days in a row.
Hope it's all good! Bring on the New Year parties!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home